Indoor Fireplaces - Guidance Document
Fireplaces in Campus Buildings:
- Not all fireplaces in campus buildings are operable fireplaces.
- Contact your facility manager to determine if a particular fireplace is able to be used.
- Operable fireplaces and chimneys must be inspected and certified annually.
- Operable fireplaces and chimneys must be cleaned on a regular basis.
Using a Fireplace:
- Fireplaces must be attended when in use and until extinguished.
Make sure the chimney damper is fully open before lighting the fire.
Make sure you have appropriate fireplace tools for managing the fire.
Only plain, untreated firewood fires are allowed.
Flammable liquids may NOT be used at any time.
Keep the fire to manageable size and within the firebox of the fireplace.
Keep combustible materials including papers, blankets and decorations away from the fire.
Keep the fireplace screen in place or the fireplace doors closed when you are not adding wood or stoking the fire.
Know the location of the nearest available fire extinguisher.
For further information e-mail or call 607-255-8200.