To view document in PDF
Event Electrical Safety PDF Version (The PDF is the same content as below)
- Keep electrical equipment and power cords away from heat, water and oil
- Nothing may be attached to sprinkler pipes or other fire protection equipment.
Electrical Power Supply:
Generators may be used outside of buildings but must be barricaded, fenced, or otherwise physically separated from the public and must be away from buildings and building air intakes. Gasoline storage must be in a safe outdoor area, away from the public.
Power strips, extension cords and outlets must have sufficient capacity for the equipment being used. The wattage rating of the equipment must not exceed the rating of the cords and outlets. Contact the Cornell Electric Shop or Campus Life Facilities at 607-255-0328 for guidance to prevent overloading of outlets.
- Multi-outlet adapters and grounding adapters are NOT allowed.
- Utilize ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI) connections when outdoors or in wet or damp areas.
Power and Extension Cords:
- Extension cords may only be used for temporary power supply.
- Cords must be in good condition with no loose connections, cut or damaged insulation, frayed wiring, missing prongs or damaged ends.
- Cords must not be chained together.
- Cords may NOT run through doorways, windows or walls.
- Cords should be kept out of areas where people will be walking or dancing and must be taped down or otherwise secured to prevent people from tripping.
For further information email
or call (607) 255-8200.